Jacqueline Burch got married and did what all newlyweds do, spent time with her husband. They continued down the road of “things you’re supposed to do”—had dinners out with friends, purchased a home, and had a baby!
After her first son was born, she returned to work and he went to daycare. She knew she needed to invest for her future, but wasn’t quite sure how to do it.
Aimlessly investing didn’t yield the results she wanted (shocker!) and upon realizing she was pregnant again, Jacqueline decided to get her finances in order. She and her husband cut all extraneous spending, paid off their outstanding debt, and even found a way to reduce childcare from $77/day for one child to $65/day for two.
Jacqueline became an expert is optimizing her family’s finances —and a master at turning “we can’t afford that” into creative ways to accomplish anything. Her ingenuity includes teaching ski lessons as a way to afford skiing for her family of six, rehabbing a short sale house to live in, and continuing to live in a 932-square-foot house even after her fourth child was born.
Jacqueline absolutely embodies the mantra “when you have the desire, you find a way, and when you don’t, you find an excuse.” This woman makes no excuses and always finds a way.
If you are looking for a repeatable path to financial freedom, this is a can’t-miss episode.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
The all-new FreshBooks is accounting software that makes running your small business easy, fast and secure. Spend less time on accounting and more time doing the work you love. For a 30-day unrestricted trial, go to FreshBooks.com/bpmoney
BuildingBITS takes advantage of new laws and advanced technology that makes it possible for many people to pool their resources and join hands to do something that none of them could do on their own – invest in large commercial real estate market.
Get started with just $500 here: invest.buildingbits.com/biggerpockets
In This Episode We Cover:
- Jacqueline’s journey with money
- On doing childcare, working full-time, and going to school
- Her mistake when she bought their first house
- How they started their FI journey
- How she discovered the concept of FIRE
- On budgeting the household expenses
- On increasing their savings from 11% to 35% after cutting off some of their expenses
- The benefits of being a ski instructor
- How she paid off her debts
- How she increased her savings rate
- Her money management saving strategy
- On doing private money lending
- Her life before and after working from home and leaving her job
- On childcare expenses
- On sending her four kids to a private school
- What retiring early looks like for them
- How she cuts her grocery bills
- On note investing
- The deal breakers for her when it comes to lending
- On the investment property she has
- On focusing on short- to medium-term investments as her investment philosophy
- How she plans the college education for her 4 sons
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- “It takes work to get a life that you want.” (Tweet This!)
- “When you have the desire, you find a way. When it is not that important, you find an excuse.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you don’t have your why, a solid why, then you will find an excuse every time.” (Tweet This!)
- “If there’s a will, there’s a way.” (Tweet This!)
- “Everything is a choice.” (Tweet This!)