Now, here comes the tricky part.
Different marketplaces have different product listing requirements.
What works for Amazon may not necessarily be accepted by eBay. To help you comply with their guidelines, here’s a quick primer you can refer to:
Compared to most marketplaces, Amazon employs the most stringent photo requirements. It’s a big must that your photos are of the highest quality and follow these specific guidelines:
- Accepted file types: TIFF, JPEG, GIF and PNG
- Accepted size: At least 1,000 pixels on either side
- Color mode: RGB or CYMK
- File names must contain the product identifier (Amazon ASIN, 13-digit ISBN, EAN, JAN or UPC) followed by a period and the file extension.
- The image must be a professional photograph or cover art of the product. Illustrations will not be accepted.
- Images must not involve any element that may confuse the buyer.
- Images must be well-lit, in focus, and with realistic colors.
- If you’re selling books, music or DVDs, images should be the cover art and take up the entire frame.
- All other products must fill 85% of the frame.
- The entirety of the product should be in full view.
- Backgrounds must be pure white: RGB 255.255.255.
- No graphics or additional text are allowed.
- Pornographic and other offensive elements are also not allowed.
- Accepted file types: TIFF, GIF, JPEG, BMP, and PNG
- For clothing items, images should be at least 250 x 250 pixels
- For all other products, images should be at least 100 x 100 pixels
- The maximum accepted image resolution is 64 megapixels
- The maximum accepted file size is 16 megabytes
- Images with text, watermark or borders are not allowed.
- Accepted file types: TIFF, GIF, JPEG, BMP and PNG
- You are allowed to upload at least 12 images for a single product
- Photos should be at least 500 pixels, but the site recommends that they should be at least 1,600 pixels
- If your file type is JPG, quality should be 90 on the 0-99 scale
- File size should be less than 7MB. If the image is already uploaded on another site, the allowed file size is up to 12MB.
- All imported images must be HTTPS compliant.
- They aren’t specific about file types, but we recommend that you use JPG
- There should be at least 1,000 pixels on either side of the image to activate the zoom function.
- You can upload as many images as you want.
- The first image should be square or landscape to look good in the thumbnail view.
- All images should be consistent in size.
- Accepted file types: JPEG, JPG, GIF, and PNG
- Maximum image size: 3 MB
- Recommended image size: 1000×1000 px
- There is no limit on the number of images you can upload.
- The site does not require sellers to upload images – but if you want to ensure profitability – you should still upload product photos.
- Accepted file types: JPEG and GIF
- Minimum image size: 500 x 500 px
- All images must be on a clean, white background
- You are allowed to upload at least 10 images per product.
Of course, when posting on different social media platforms, you also have to follow certain guidelines. While they’re not as strict as marketplaces, you still have to adhere to sizing rules so your content would fit well on each site.
- Profile Picture: 110 x 100 px
- Thumbnails: 161 x 161 px
- Posted Photo: 1080 x 1080 px
- Story: 1080 x 1920 px
- Profile Picture: 180 x 180 px
- Cover Photo: 820 x 312 px
- Shared Image: 1200 x 630 px
- Image Links: 1200 x 628 px
- Highlighted Image: 1200 x 717 px
- Profile Picture: 400 x 400 px
- Header Photo: 1500 x 500 px
- Posted Photo: At least 440 x 220 px
- Profile Picture: 165 x 165 px
- Pins: At least 236 px
- Board Cover Photo: 222 x 150 px
Have any tips about marketplace images? Share with us in the comments below!